Saturday, January 30, 2010

Can I Just Share?

Working on a presentation from the patio because I got kicked out of the office/game room. A few minutes ago, my son came thundering in with a playmate. He was telling her about his Xbox and the "nice, big TV" we just bought for it. Funny hearing him boast. (Mental note to curb the yabang. Won't always work with girls) But then his mom told them to leave me alone and play downstairs. I saw the humiliated (napahiya sa harap ng chick) look on Noah's face, so I told Nike to let them be and I set up Kung Fu Panda on the Xbox, told them they could just take turns for an hour.

It's only been a few minutes, and as I type this, the girl has stormed out, crying. I assume she couldn't wait for her turn. More like Noah didn't want to share.

When you're a parent, you're always on teaching mode. Every moment is a chance to educate, set an example and inspire. So I'll be going upstairs in a bit to remind him to be a sharing boy, lest he lose his friends. Nobody likes madamot. And his friend might never come back, I'll tell him. But when he's a little older (because it's something even some adults can't seem to grasp) I'll get around to explaining the exponential benefits of kindness and sharing, how we reap what we sow and what goes around comes around.

One good thing to come out of this (because I shared, see?) is now I know how nice it is to work from out here -- where I can feel the cool breeze and hear the birds chirping. And smell lunch cooking!

4 comments:

  1. You know this got me thinking. I've read a lot of management books and they always say that being a manager is like being a parent to a large number of children. I guess this proves your point about "teaching mode."

    Anyway, hope lunch was good. Enjoy your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. To be honest, my five-year old takes better instructions than some 'adults' I've met. I just try to keep in mind that there's a kid in all of us. Lunch was excellent, thanks! Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working outdoors, the best :)

    And yes, yabang doesn't always cut it with girls mwahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should get one of those kids that don't talk, move and leave toys on the floor!

    ReplyDelete